Tuesday, April 05, 2005

"All Things New" yet we still age...

Some have requested a 'review' of sorts of the Steven Curtis Chapman concert...in a word - fabulous. I seriously adore the man. He's so focused and fun, and his music!Oh, are there really words for it?

To begin with, the traffic leaving the Boston area was horrific! We completely missed Casting Crowns (I was seriously bummed about that - if you don't have their CD - go now and get it!) but when we walked in Steven was up on stage doing a little acoustic with his bandmates...seeing as he has SO many hits, he can't do 'em ALL during his set so he did a couple songs with CC then some on his own. Then he introduced Chris Tomlin and we had an amazing time of worship - Chris's music is terrific. I hadn't realized all he's written...

Right before the intermission they focus on where God has brought Steven and his wife MaryBeth. They have had their lives turned upside down these last 3-4 years as they have adopted 3 ADORABLE girls from China (three separate adoptions and the girls are something like 5,3,almost 2 now). They have one ministry for helping people adopt kids and another organization that helps families on the financial side of it. It's just great. (FYI - he and his wife have three biological kids too...in fact, it was his eldest, Emily, who encouraged them to consider adoption - it's AN INCREDIBLE story of how they listened to their child and believed God was using her to clue them into something so lifechanging...just beautiful)

Steven comes out after intermission to the title track of the CD, the tour's name - "ALL THINGS NEW". In a spiritual sense, that's exactly what happens when we come to know Christ in a personal relationship. I guess what struck me partway thru the concert was the fact that we are aging. Physically, I don't see much on me getting 'newer'! I mean, my posse and I have been to SCC's concerts for well over ten years now. Steven, as good as he looks, is getting older too. It's just crazy. Honestly, where does time go? I have very specific memories that coincide with some of Steven's songs...it's just that list of memories is getting longer and longer - it just blows me away...time seriously waits for no man or woman.

In light of this...I need to get off my duff and DO SOMETHING. The last couple weeks I have felt like I've just been waiting for something to happen. Well, fagetabowit...tonight I'm making some headway in some major planning I need to do for the next couple months - bridal shower, wedding stuff for my roomie, plans to head home some weekend soon, etc etc etc...life's just gonna pass me by IF I LET IT. Well, I'm not :)

All that & I need to squeeze in 'Alias'~woohoo!!!
(to finish the 'review' - am I tangentqueen or what? - Steven does a great job blending in the NEW fab songs with some of the major hits he didn't do during the acoustic set. Chris Tomlin does a duet with him on 'Speechless' - Steven sings some of the tunes from the 'love CD' he did for his wife - 'All About Love'. He even covered the Proclaimers hit he does on the CD '500 miles'. Just wonderful. Sitting in the 10th row (ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC SEATS) it felt like we were all just sitting around jamming together. Seeing as I know all the words and sang right along with the hundreds of other fans - hence the 'jam session'. Just a great night...the friends I was with - just more super memories with them as well!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of Casting Stones, but I really like the new Chris Tomlin cd.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about different songs of his being part of a memory you have. it's the same for me. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and have planned to write about it. (just haven't gotten there yet!) I was trying to decide what my favorite song of his is, and I don't think I can decide.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How amazingly awesome! I didn't know you and your friends have been going for ten years. What a wonderful memory. You guys deserve VIP seats! I so want to try and get hubby and I to go to a Christian concert sometime I think it would be such a blast, and this just confirms it.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home