Monday, April 04, 2005

More answers...probably not the ones you're looking for though...

Here's some more 411 on me (why don't I just do the 100 list, I know, I know...)

You're the baby of the family and yet you moved away. Very unusual. What drew you from ME to MA? Boyfriend, college, job? (The beauty of my 'position' in my family is this - there are seven years between me and the next one up so, for those of you that follow birth order stuff - this allows me to take on qualities of both the 'baby' AND 'first born'. Just beautiful isn't it? All this to say, my 'baby' qualities are sometimes overcast by the 'first born' ones - hence I moved away from home. First it was college that lured me away from the bliss of Maine ~ down in MA on the northshore: couldn't leave the coast. LOVE THE OCEAN. I think GFF mentioned her dream house has a view of the ocean? Me too.

Then it was a boyfriend...trekked out to Indiana of all places for P. I was a nanny for a wonderful family - oh so great. They had a 5 yr old son and a 3 yr old daughter and surprise! newborn triplet girls. Enter, SuperNanny! Hee hee hee. I nannied for year then worked in the public school system in South Bend, IN the following year. During that second year, P & I realized we were not altar bound - unless one of us ended up sacrificing the other and we were putting the body on the altar. ;) That spring of '95 my family found out about my BIL's cancer and one of my sisters were told that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant so she and her hub were contemplating artificial insemination. In another blog I'll write about how God called me home to Maine. Short story - He did and I came back to Maine that summer. In August my best friend and I got teaching jobs in Burlington, MA and became roomies again (we were in college, too.) I've stayed in MA since. Ten crazy years later...a decade really does fly by.)


Your eldest sib is old enough to be your parent? (Yep. In fact, my mom LOVES the story of how she and my eldest sis were walking through town one day shopping, my sis carrying me. I was probably like 2-3 months old. They ran into some old friends who hadn't heard mom had popped out her 8th so they assumed my sister had me out of wedlock - EGADS! My mom thought it was hysterical. I love my mom.) How does the age diff affect your relationship? Was s/he even at home when you were born?
(Yes, T was home. But not for long. My very first memory was when I was 2.5 and we were at T's wedding to W. I remember standing up in the pew and looking back at T coming down the aisle with our dad and she was in ALL white (of course - she wasn't my mother. ;)
I just remember being so awestruck at all the formality of that moment. People watching with big smiles, music playing, my sisters standing in front of a huge crowd in some pretty buttcrazy purple numbers. Yeah, it was a terrific first memory.

Back to the question - the three eldest sisters have all played mom to me at some point in my life. I'm blessed to have welcomed them playing that role as well. Not to say that my other siblings are any less important to me, it's just that each one has played a specific part in who I've become. I love each of them very much. What I love about my relationship with T though, is that we think a lot alike. Even though we've experienced our family from very different perspectives, we tend to 'see it' similarly. T has a daughter that's 3.5 years younger than me and we were raised almost like sisters. I know T sees me as her honorary daughter and I am so thankful for that.)


35 isn't so old, my friend. (I know, I just like to joke. I do consider myself an old soul with a child's heart however!)

You up for a little on-on-one basketball? I'm not very good, and you have a couple inch height advantage, so you'd have to spot me a few points.
(Hmmmm, I don't know...I wouldn't want to detach your retina. I'll post about that story in a few...gotta tease the reading audience with something!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, I thought you were from Boston, not the Bronx. You must play with your elbows out ;) to detach someone's retina--I'm up for it, though. I'm from Chi-town, ya know.

This is much better than a 100 things list, but that will be fun too. Then I'll have LOTS of questions for you A!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

Hehe that's so funny, I skimmed your post before I read it and thought, she should make her 100 things out of this! And then I read your first sentence.

I loved hearing your family history, that is sooo interesting about the age differences, and good to know, I'm always stressing over if I've waited too long to have another for them to still be close. Sounds like it doesn't make a difference as long as you have a tight knit family, which it sounds like you do.

Now I'm curious about the detached retina, I've got one of those stories up my sleeve as well, only it has to do with my Hubby having one :(.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home