Thursday, August 04, 2005

Funny kid story...

When I was in Texas last summer visiting a girlfriend of mine (and her hubby and 2 ADORABLE girls) I went with my now ex so that he could meet them. This friend is precious to me and it was important that she meet the guy who I thought at the time was 'the one'.

In case you hadn't caught on or you're reading this blog for the 1st time, my ex is a Brit by way of Nigeria. Long story but I'm trying to tell you he's black. Key point of info for the story you're about to read.

My friend was a little concerned about how her eldest, let's name her Janey, would respond to meeting J for the 1st time...being from CA and now in Texas, they hadn't had many opportunities to mix with a lot of people from other nationalities. Bottomline - what would Janey, this INCREDIBLY precocious 4 year-old say when she met J???

Everything was fine...Janey took to J like cream to coffee. Really it was wonderful...bedtime rolls around and Janey wants me to read her her bedtime stories. So we go in and begin reading and then J sticks his head in and says he's going to bed - still trying to get over his jetlag. I kiss him goodnight and then turn back to Janey to begin our final book.

Janey looks at me and says, "Aunt Adrianne? Can I ask you a question?"
"Of course, Janey - what is it?"
"Um, does your friend, J, well, is his bottom brown, too?"

By the grace of God I did not fall off her bed laughing my head off.

Instead I kept my composure and answered her by saying, "Well, Janey, you know how you're all one color all over? That's what J's skin is like...all one color all over." :)

Like that wasn't enough to keep me chuckling all night...I come out of Janey's room to let mom and dad know it's time for kisses and prayers. Once that's all wrapped up, we end up in the living room where I'm greeted by some Spotted Dick. Yes, that's an actual dish in Great Britain - go here for a great explanation of what it is.yumyum,spotted dick

My friends had thrown a 'Britain-themed' party back in CA and still had a can of SD left so they put it out for me to enjoy and obviously get a laugh out of...well, little did they know HOW funny it would be once I told them their daughter had asked about J's spotted bottom! That's how I initially told them...no, just joking...oh, it was just hilarious. It feels like it loosing some of it's hilarity here but trust me. I know funny and THAT was funny.

Thanks to 'Fresh Catering' for the inspiration for today's post...that was one of the highlights of that trip - Janey memories always make me smile. Hope you're smiling now too....

2 Comments:

Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

That IS hilarious. Big Guy mentioned something along those lines one time and I WISH I could remember what it was. My Mom always used to say that I asked the lady who used to babysit us, "Do you know you're black?" and the lady burst out laughing. I still think it was my sister.

So why is it called that?! I visited Rachael's site and still couldn't figure it out. Isn't Rachael the best?

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spotted dick - not eaten much in our "nursery" - but very much enjoyed by granny and grandad - especially with custard as you say.....

"Dick" - old english derivation for pudding.....

Good to hear more about your Brit experiences - try find a Welshman next!!

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home