Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Wedded bliss...

I hope. This past Saturday evening (oh yeah, the HOTTEST day of the summer thus far in MA) was yet another wedding for me to attend. Me and 1Guy went together as it was the daughter of a family that we're still connected to even after some moves and church changes...it was this family's eldest daughter. The bride is turning 19 next month.

Yes, you read that correctly - she's not even 19 yet. Amazing. I am not going to judge this couple's relationship or question whether or not these two youngins should have gotten hitched - I'm not mom or dad and I know they've walked them through this decision. I don't think college was in the plans for either one of them so this must have seemed like the next logical step.

It was just SO interesting to experience this wedding as compared to my former roomies almost two months ago (!!) and then as I help prepare for my sister's 2nd marriage next month. It's like there's this tangible 'maturity' to each relationship. Saturday night there were these two youngins marrying and it all seemed so innocent and pure. Fresh out with no regrets, no relational baggage they're carrying (at least no heavy suitcases, maybe just some small overnight bags), I'm pretty sure the bride was wearing white because she traditionally could...and so on.

For my best friend and her now-hubby there was still some innocence there but hey, being in your mid-30's, the baggage weight definitely goes up. Life experience in general has molded your world perspective quite a bit and your thoughts, hopes, dreams about what your marriage will look like is OBVIOUSLY different than a 18 year-old's. Then jump ahead another 20 years, have grown children, survive the death of a spouse, and there's my sister and her husband-to-be.

I just had this all running through my mind this weekend and it's actually helped me process why I'm still in this 'season of singleness' (why do I not like that phrase?) yet again. He knows the whens, the ifs, the whos so much better than I do...I don't know about you but I can almost sense when I'm about to literally pick up the reigns in my life again and try and 'take over'. Because there are still those areas that I need to re-release to the Lord I've had to be reminded again of just how amazingly in control God is over my life and to LET HIM have that control...to trust Him with it.

Why can't I just do it once and be done with it? Life would be SO much easier. My ex emailed me yesterday (we have some mutual friends going through a rough time and he was asking about them) and he said how he was praying 'that all goes well as they negotiate this earthly pilgrimage we're called to'. This earthly pilgrimage...reminds me of one of my favorite Steven Curtis Chapman songs, "Not Home Yet". I'm not 'home' yet and so look forward to that day when I will be looking my Lord & Savior in the face, realizing truly & completely what His love for me is all about...until then, I will strive to live my life seeking after that truth daily. I hope as I 'negotiate my earthly pilgrimage' that His love will spill over onto those I meet and am traveling with...

Thanks for reading my ramblings...I've just had a lot going on up in this head o'mine and needed to get some of it out. :) Take care!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I can't imagine getting married at 18. Especially to the guy I thought I was in love with at the time! and I love that song, too!

5:27 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Isn't it funny how when you get married, you think that divorce will never happen to you. You are so in love, and you just can't imagine things ever going wrong. I got married the first time at 24 and was determined to never divorce, but alas, there was something else in store for me. And now (divorced and 29), I can say that I married too young. So I can't imagine this 18-yr-old tying the knot...

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Yes, we are not home yet. I was at a real Christian high point a few months back while I was going through hell on earth (husband's infidelity and refusal to repent) and I thought, Jesus, this would be a good time for you to come crashing through the clouds and take home all the Christians...or maybe not. My husband's not yet saved...or my neighbor...or some friends and family...folks I've never met. I thought, okay, just give me strength and comfort, healing of memories and hope to go on. But above all, I need love. He gave me all of the above and more. I go through good and bad days like everyone else, always remembering, we are not home yet and then I think of that song..."I Can Only Imagine" and keep pushin' on. :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

That is a great song and I agree, it sure is a young age to get married...

7:39 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

http://www.blogjacket.com/images/party/party2.jpg

This is a template design I have been working on for you... do you like it? I made it like a party invitation... sort of.

10:49 AM  
Blogger L said...

Eighteen does seem young, but I suppose everyone matures at a different pace. When I think of the guy I was dating back then I still wish things could've turned out differently. I really believe I could've committed to him forever, but the Lord knows best. No matter the age, if two people are first and foremost in love with the Lord, He can give them grace to get through anything.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Lindsay Blake said...

the whole dating, marriage thing is a complicated matter.... rather i make it that. the Lord probably looks down at us and is like, trust me... i continually have to remind myself to trust him... and then i have to trust the Jesus in them.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home